The Ottawa Giving Project
The Ottawa Giving Project (a partnership of the Alliance to End Homelessness and Respond Ottawa) is providing an opportunity for churches in our city to come together to support local agencies who serve Ottawa’s homeless and low income communities. COVID-19 has hampered the collection of donations by these agencies from the public due to their limited volunteer base and storage facilities. Meanwhile, homelessness in Ottawa has increased dramatically during the pandemic.
We want to respond to this need by collecting, sorting and delivering to these agencies…
new socks, new underwear
new personal hygiene items
This will allow support agencies to open their clothing cupboards and share these items to those who need them.
How your church can help
Join us in praying that this initiative will unite our churches as together we seek to share the love of Christ by meeting practical needs.
Be a collection site
Participate by collecting and sorting donations of new socks, underwear and and personal hygiene items (see the list of what is acceptable).
Give a financial donation which will allow Respond Ottawa to purchase the items needed to meet the needs in these agencies.
Tips for church collection sites
Here are some ways to simplify collection and sorting of donations within COVID-19 restrictions.
- Share the list of acceptable donation items with your church members to ensure that appropriate donations are being dropped off
- Schedule a no contact curbside drop off event once a week where people can drive up to your church building and deliver their donations
- Store all donations for at least 48 hours before beginning to sort them
- Once donations have been sorted, drop off appropriate items to the depot closest to your church (current depots are The Met Bible Church and Community Pentecostal Church)
The Ottawa Giving Project is currently seeking donations of
- New socks (all sizes)
- New underwear (all sizes)
- New personal hygiene products, such as
- Feminine hygiene products